9.17.2011

Jackson Track

This shouldn't even work.


According to all logic, Das Racist shouldn't be able to make music this good. They often get dismissed as joke-rap or weed-rap, some cats from New York just clowning around and making mixtapes for the hipster scene. Well, they finally did one up proper and released their first actual album Relax. I was, sadly, dumb enough to hesitate and not download the finished product as soon as it was available. While I wait for it to come through my iTunes for a proper review, I've been listening to their single from the album, 'Michael Jackson', non stop. It is sick.
I find myself wanting to deconstruct 'Michael Jackson' and try to make some larger sense of it, yet I am fundamentally unable to do so. In a sense, it is exactly what it presents itself to be -  an insanely catch single with a heady, lolling beat that wraps you in with every repetition. MCs Heems and Kool A.D. spit verses that verge on antagonistic calling-out over the beat, rapping about how they're perceived by the community that gave rise to their popularity and then following that with verses about nonsensical non-sequiters about drinking carbonated water by the quarter gallon. In a way this dichotomy defines the group, their dual nature of absurdest rap coupled with their intelligent and nuanced awareness of social and political culture, despite both tones being delivered in a laid-back, almost dismissive delivery. It's awesomely flippant and modern, a sign of the times in its commitment to the inability to commit to an idea or belief. 
The hook is as deep as is it is shallow - "Michael Jackson. A million dollars. You feel me? Holler." I asked my better half what she thought of the refrain and what Das Racist might be trying to convey with it. Her response? "Aren't these the same guys who made a name for themselves rapping about Pizza Hut and Taco Bell?" Touche, my dear. It's as provocative as it is dada-ist. It would seem, from their name-drops and samples, that MJ is just as sacred to them as he was to the rest of us, so it's hard to assume they're being flippant, more that they're making pigeon-holing statements about getting a crowd on your side in a song. Here's awesome things, you dig? I dig.
The rest of the album is on the way, cued up for a series of repeat listens to see just where the rap crew is headed. If their two unparalleled post-modern mixtapes are any indication - we're in for an interesting ride. Get in while it's good. Jam to it. I'll see you manana.