4.04.2011

Sit Down & Shut Up

Day five, I'm just finishing my travels, currently on the way to the airport. A little rushed but mostly alright for time. I've had a phenomenal time in AZ and eaten way too much sinful food, including Black Sphinx dates - I honestly wanted to weep when I ate them, they were so good. Made a crazy ice cream Sunday like a child at the Road Runners show because apparently 60s radio hits necessitate a full ice cream bar. Chocolate covered blueberries were good but too much chocolate, not enough blueberry. Honey roasted peanut butter fresh pressed at Whole Foods was unreal. Sad my local store has no peanut butter press. Got too much sun and feeling fried still, just tired and dumb from all the vitamin D flooding my system.


Since time is a bit of a factor here I'll just throw a short bit up here on a popular but oddball music group, Das Racist. Hailing from New York, this meme-tastic hip-hop outfit first made waves with the dada-esque viral song "Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell". Soon after, to establish their legit rap cred, they released a pair of mixtapes: Shut Up, Dude and Sit Down, Man. These two mixtapes are not only super awesome examples of modern hip-hop and the humor it can wield but they're also totally free. While critics may dismiss it as joke rap or absurdist, they'd be missing out on awesome beats and surreal lines these guys create. My personal favorite track - the bobbing weirdness of "hahahaha Jk?" that sample the theme from Days of Our Lives. The refrain: "we're not joking, just joking we are joking, just joking - we're not joking." Sounds weird but it actually is a great line. 
There's a ton more I could dissect here, the songs and lyrics are intricately woven and strange. Unfortunately I'm at the airport now and am having to face the reality of checking in and dealing with crowds. Cringe. Shudder. Here we go. Tomorrow I return to the usual sturm and drang of my normal schedule, so these posts will be a little more fleshed out. Until then, kids. Until then.