3.06.2011

Collabo

Evening!


Another day full of errands and tasks after yesterday, so today's post is, again, truncated. The week coming, though, will allow for a little more proper writing. It's snowing again, of course. It's Minnesota in March, after all. I'm at home, having downed massive amounts of curry in the hopes that the endorphins can counteract the weather's mood killer. Speaking of killer moods, though...


Last month I wrote a post on the amazing Gayngs and their awesome album Relayted. They're still riding high on their acclaim, ready to rock SXSW and (much to my sorrow, as I can't attend) playing their Affiliyated showcase at First Ave tonight as I type this. Due to time and budget I find myself so close yet so far from what is no doubt an amazing show, with member's originating bands playing all over the venue, including the massive Doomtree crew, Solid Gold, Megafaun and the Leisure Birds. For those able to attend, I'm sure it was every bit as awesome as could possibly be. For those like myself, though, there is one small consolation - the free and amazing EP, Affiliyated.
This sick EP is brought to us by Minneapolis deities Doomtree. What the group did is the kind of creative process that fascinates my brain with its unlimited, diverging possibilities. Essentially they stripped the original album, the aforementioned Relayted, and drew straws for the elements laid bare. By drawing at random, different members of the crew took on tracks and rebuilt them from the ground up. It's a great reworking of what was already a phenomenal album. Songs have gone from sexy, subdued ditties to ethereal, ambient beats. Instead of the soulful crooning on the original versions, here we have Sims and P.O.S. spitting new raps over these regrinds. It's still the same moody, gorgeous music, just tweaked and rebuilt by the best damn rap crew around. On top of all this awesomeness, it's free - a token of love from crazy, prolific artists who push themselves on every project. 


I may be bummed out I can't make it to the massive spectacle at First Ave, but having this rad EP makes up for it. All the artists involved continue to blow me away with all they do. SXSW is looking a whole lot better, I can say that much. Do yourself a favor and head over here to pick up the EP.