5.23.2011

Juggernauts

So here we are, again.

I've held of writing about today's subject for a few reasons. One is that the band is so near and dear to me that I wanted to be able to do the music justice when I finally set about doing it. The other is that I wanted to make sure I had some decent traffic in order to give the band whatever boost I could. Being at a point now where I feel those goals have both been achieved, I am ready to write about the best band you've yet to hear - Galaxy Farm.

Based out of Portland, Oregon, the band consists of Neff, Ben and Jon, playing drums, strings and keys, respectively. Full disclosure here - I am indeed related to a member of the band, which served as my introduction to them. However, this was not a case of a relative saying "You should listen to us" but rather my older brother (whose excellent influence I've written previously hailed) giving the thumbs up and recommending them on a legitimate basis. Not knowing what to expect, I pulled up their self titled EP online and previewed some tracks.

I was blown away.

It would be one thing to say I was impressed with what a relative would be capable of, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't make any difference that I have a familial connection to the band - they are absolutely fantastic to the point that I would listen to them even if they were my mortal enemies. I recall, vividly, the feeling of overwhelming surprise and elation at hearing the sounds they were making and the choices the made, structurally. It's one thing to have an indie band put out a self financed EP, its another to have them put out an EP that sounds this polished and holds up so well. I've listened to it incessantly for the last year and have yet to grow tired of the songs, evangelizing their dynamic and powerful sound to anyone who will listen. There's never been any gain in it for me, other than the fact that I think these guys are so talented that they deserve to get as much love as possible. 

Citing a variety of influences, from Muse to Sufjan Stevens, the band creates a sound that is not quite like anything else I've been hearing lately. On top of this, they display an intelligence and clever knack for song writing that few bands these days seem to wield. The opening notes to the first track on their EP, 'Prelude', sets up the ensuing soundscape nicely, with a delicately descending piano intro popping open their sound into a repeating octave-based riff that allows vocalist Jon to sing a haunting, peculiar melody that displays how talented and vocally flexible his range can be. When the band switches gears to sing the warped-line "Soon enough, when it comes we'll all find a way..." the effect is moving, the kind of feeling I wrote of in posts about feeling a chord change in your chest and not just your ears. It's a fantastic song that builds in leaps and bounds and when they begin to repeat the introductory vocal phrases towards the end, one gathers a sense that these guys are playing with a huge sound and limitless potential.

The hurtling, dramatic 'Hold On' makes it apparent how little we hear actual pianos in modern rock, which in this case is a shame, as the Galaxy Farm create a sound here that is somehow simultaneously a throw back and a look towards the future. The syncopated but rocksteady drumming of Neff here locks the band in place and they're free to pound just behind the beat a bit, adding weight to their dramatic sound. Guitarist Ben Weyerhauser takes lead vocal duties on the heavy-as-bricks-dropping-from-a-skyscraper 'Lady In The Midnight Sun', his voice a nice contrast to Jon's vocals. Weyerhasuer's voice is more of a traditional, squared-off sound compared to Jon's rounder sound, if that makes any sense. Regardless, the change is to great effect on this track and the two sound great when harmonizing together. The band switches gears again on the next track, the dream-pop of 'Take What's Yours' transforming as it comes churning out of the band's hands. The penultimate song, the synth-driven, frantic 'Let It Burn' is another urgent number, full of dramatic energy. The chorus, which sees both vocalists belting out "Today's the day you always wanted", is phenomenal, powerful stuff that sounds like a score to an epic movie, some climatic chase-scene stuff, for sure. The little, end of the measure break they take before the final refrain is a choice song writing trick that shows them to be savvy artists. 

The standout track here, though, from my opinion and just about anyone for whom I've played the EP, is the closer. Opening with a flourish of old-timey piano playing, the staggering and heartbreaking 'Mixer' closes this brief but rich release. The song, a moving and brilliantly written plea for reconnecting, closes the EP with fuzzy synths and absolutely gorgeous harmonies, both vocalists singing contrapuntal but complimentary harmonies. It's a fantastic song, really - words don't do it justice. Have a listen for yourself, here, at their website. 
I can't say enough positive about this band. I'm well aware of how sycophantic this may be, but do yourself a favor and get on board now before the train takes off and everyone else is in love with them before you. Word on the street is they have a full length album in the can and ready to go, but they're putting some finishing touches on it before unleashing it on the public. My only quibble is that they're all the way out on the west coast and I'm stuck here in the midwest so I have yet to see them play live. If you're anywhere near them, however, do yourself a favor and see what they're capable of in person. I would put money on you being blown away. Go. Do it now.