6.10.2011

I'll Shut Up

Alright.


It's Friday.


I've had way too much coffee to push through today and a couple Vodka/Sodas on top of it only exacerbates the problem. So I'll keep this confessional brief. I've made my share of apologist statements about mediocre music on this site in the past, so I figure what's one more?


I was in Europe when I first heard the Deftones. It was a class trip and I was indulging in cheap wine and cigarettes, so maybe sleazy things were on my mind. Whatever it was, maybe the person who introduced me to the ascendant screamo/nucore band, maybe the smokey little bar, maybe the crappy disc-man I was hearing them on, but I'll always see the Deftones, no matter how much I love the name, as a bit of a sleazy outfit. I think they cultivated that image on purpose.
Regardless, I still love 'Be Quiet And Drive'. It's a balls-out, (at the time) modern take on the Californian interpretation of the Smashing Pumpkins. From the chords themselves to the progressions the song is written around, there is undoubtedly a specter of Billy Corgan in the midst of this (ugh) nu-metal song. But nuts to that horrible label and all the millennial  Fred Durst-ian connotations. The Deftones were always a little stronger than their peers, I felt. Look back at that lot - Limp Bizkit (oof) Staind (ugh) Mudshovel (wut?). Do you see how mad just my auto-correct gets? It's like these bands actually fought against any rational intelligence. In hindsight, maybe that was their audience. I dunno, maybe it's a case of rose colored lenses, but I still like 'Be Quiet And Drive', even after all these years. 
It's just usually through headphones and not in public, is the thing. You know what is absolutely, unabashedly worthy of adoration, though? The acoustic version - some serene dream pop there, kids. Listen.