6.06.2011

Viva La Sampler!

Hey, kids.


Heat wave.


I'm moving slow. 


It's the beginning of the week and not only is it the Worst Day of the Week, it's also bad enough there's a heat advisory and I'm in the thick of planning the final stages of a wedding. So forgive me if the brain pan isn't functioning at full capacity. Or something. Anyway. You know how I write about how hard and crappy of a time I had discovering new and interesting music in my formative years? Sometimes you get a freebie. Literally.


Again, bemoaning the lack of hi-speed WiFi as a youth, I bought a ton of music mags. Dumb thing was I had the mental and economic wherewithal to spend the money and mental energy into reading about fresh new artists, but then I would freeze up in the CD stores, petrified of spending my limited cash on a poor choice. Preemptive buyer's remorse, I guess. Hell, for a long time I didn't get an Iphone because people I'd never met on the internet were calling it a dumb choice - what if they judged me? See how deep the neurosis goes? It feels a lot better when you just say "Screw it! This is what I like and I wanna buy it! No apologies!" I'm super glad to have hopped on board the Apple bandwagon, if you couldn't tell - I feel, more and more everyday, that my life is like Star Trek as a result. But I digress.
So I'd buy these music rags in the hopes of a good discovery. One of them (I forget which) occasionally had a sampler with it. Not everything on it would be good. In fact, quite a bit sucked. BUT! This one particular sampler not only introduced me to Monster Magnet's awesome 'Space Lord' but also introduced me to a phenomenal song that no one else seems to have heard. It was by a little British band called Drugstore. The tune, 'El President', was a duet with none other than hipster deity Thom Yorke. I loved it, lost the CD for a couple years, then found it on a file sharing program years later. The song sublime, all swooping and lurching acoustic guitars. Vocalist Isabel Monteiro's singing is light and sweet, a sound that fits well alongside Yorke's buttery, perpetually mournful voice. Give a listen here and see what I'm talking about - it builds well and isn't too laid back for an acoustic track.
I'll see if I can give more tomorrow, gang -  as the heat wave continues and the wedding looms, I fear my circuitry may just up and quit on me. I'll fight it, though - there's still a couple tricks of my sleeve to maintain momentum. Stay tuned!