4.02.2011

Going AWOL

Alright, day 3 of writing while away from home. It's a little easier this time than when I was in San Francisco, I think, due to the hectic nature of that trip's itinerary versus my kicking up my heels in AZ. Saw a great live show last night by The Road Runners, or as their frontman affectionally dubbed them, the Flab Four. The band is all involved in a great studio and production company, but thats a post for another day. Today I want to write about a fantastic single that you need to hear. Another short post, sure, but I know as soon as I'm home the regular schedule will kick in once again.


Awolnation is a solo project of Aaron Bruno, formed from the ashes of Under The Influence of Giants and Hometown Hero, both based in LA. In the lead up to the release of his debut album the band released the single "Sail", a dirge of a tune that gets under your skin and digs it's claws in as soon as it starts. Initially a sparse affair with plucked strings opening the song, a massive, bleeding synthesizer sweeps in and breaks it wide open. The song is an grand, epic tune that lurches along between heavy notes, breaking your heart with every refrain. The accompanying video is just as moving, with Bruno evading abduction from aliens in an abandoned house and wailing the lyrics into a tape recorder. It's a haunting combination of audio and visual, in the vein of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Check it out on YouTube.


Awolnation's first album is out, fresh on the heels of this magnificent single. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but based on what I've heard so far, I've got high hopes for what this band can do. It's a great example of the state of modern music, a mish-mash of classical instruments and electronic elements, with passionate lyrics and heartfelt singing. I really love the song, head over to iTunes and give it a listen.