4.24.2011

More Coasting

How did the weekend come to a close so quickly? Was it something I said? Oh well.


Time quickly got away from me this weekend and in my rush of obligations and time spent with family in another state, what would normally be in this space has yet to be written. Long story short - I'm exhausted and have nothing prepared. Sucks to have to cop to being caught with empty pockets, yet at the same time it was unquestionably worth it to spend time with my family and see my godson for once. He's adorable, in case you're wondering. Like, heart-stoppingly cute. But I digress.


In the interest of filling this space with something relevant and appropriate, I'll direct your attention to something I had hoped to touch base on last week. In the process of writing about 30 Seconds to Mars I was scrolling through my iTunes library and one of the things I wasn't able to incorporate into the post was the excellent video for the lead single on the follow up album to A Beautiful Lie, This Is War. The single, Kings & Queens, is an epic, sprawling track that features throngs of the band's fans singing part of the hook. The song is a bit of a growth for the band, showing their development and refinement of their sound as they matured in their songwriting process. This album further developed their articulate nature and 'Kings & Queens'  shows that refinement of style. The anthem-like choruses and crowd-aided wailing add a sense of grandiosity to the tune, while the verses and bridge are exercises in building and fostering energy and momentum. It's powerful, effective writing.
The clip for the song, titled 'The Ride', has members of the band as well as several bike-and-community focused groups staging a massive ride through downtown L.A., inter-cut with the band playing in the setting sun. It's a gorgeous, sweeping bit of film that serves the scope of the tune very well, even if it doesn't fall in sync with their previous videos which focused on storytelling and scene. Whereas other videos had the band shooting in the arctic circle or recreating the work of Stanley Kubric, this one is a bit more accessible. That doesn't diminish the impact, though. The scope of the organization and humanity they present in the film is fantastic and relate-able despite the costumes. Regardless of the shift in direction, do yourself a favor and check out the short film, it's a sight to behold and the song is terrific as well.
Again, my apologies for the truncated post today, but I will be returning with more content tomorrow. In the meantime check out this fantastic video and single by a band I can't say enough good about. They've always got something up their sleeve, so keep an ear to the ground. Hope you had a good weekend.