7.13.2011

Hello Indeed

Sometimes the twee is just to overwhelming to resist.


The twee I speak of in today's post is that of the sickly sweet, pure bubblegum joy that is 'Hello' by Martin Solveig with the help of Dragonette. A thumping, inescapably dance-able number, the song is an almost too perfect example of modern music. It's infected my ears in the last six months. The handy-work of French DJ extraordinaire Martin Solveig, the song is all electro sounds and synths. Released in fall of 2010, it's done an impressive job of staying in the public eye (ear?). 
Despite the myriad reasons I can cite, no specific one stands out. Maybe it's just a catchy hook and a beat you can dance to. There is an undeniable French air to the track, with its sunshiny buzzing and chirping vocals. Like I said, plenty of twee to go around, but that giddy lightness made it a bit of a life raft as we worked through the end of winter and (eventually) into summer. Now that the sun shines (finally) I find it even more inescapable. It's still in rotation on the radio and featured in ads. Honestly it feels more like a summer pop tune than something that would chart in the winter. The breezy vocals courtesy of Dragonette's Martina Sobrara are ridiculously infectious, alluring in their cutesy appeal but impossible for any other human to match. I do believe the woman is a Fairy or perhaps a woodland pixie of some kind. I do know that she's Canadian, but that may not be a factor in the sugary sweetness, unless Maple syrup is really that important farther north than MPLS. For such a lilting, modern voice one would expect her to be a waif of a teenager. Somehow she's north of 30. I have no idea how that works.
Despite my transparent and self-conscious passive-aggressive enjoyment of the song, it's become a bit of an obsession. I have no idea why, to be honest. As my better half can attest, along with more than a hand full of the posts on this site, I have a not-so-secret love of pure pop music. This just may be an exemplary case of said obsession. I love the kick of the drums, the buzz of the synths, the lightness of the vocals. It's super catchy. Saccharine, but awesome. If, by some strange twist of fate, you have yet to hear 'Hello' by Martin Solveig and Dragonette, give it a spin. It's infectious. You'll go nuts, but you'll be grinning the whole time.