7.29.2011

Recursive Rounds

Happy weekend, kiddos.


I feel bad about yesterday. Not really in the sense of what I wrote, but more so the tone I wrote it in. Millencolin is a really great, hardworking band and I feel bad about the manner in which I backhandedly complimented their hard work. So to make up for it, in addition to writing about how great 'No Cigar' is, I thought I'd take the time today to tell you about two more excellent and under-appreciated songs of theirs.
First off is a single from their hard-rocking change-of-direction album Home From Home. The single, 'Fingers Crossed', is a speedy, slick little number that squirrels right out from the starting gate and doesn't let up until they reach the finish line. I remember picking up the album right before I went on my high school's class trip to the East Coast, throwing myself into the furious tempos and relentless attitudes on the album to dull the boredom of an endless bus ride. That's how we rolled in the Middle West, kids. Anyway, the sheer pop brilliance of 'Fingers Crossed' shows how strong of songwriters the boys in Millencolin are - the song is undeniably sun-shiney and hooky, the kind of stuff I always associate with spring time - things are waking up and coming back to life, so the music should be similarly bright and full of life. The Home From Home album was a turn away from traditional punk to more riff-based rock, but it still was pretty damn good.
Another track that I feel needs a little more love (especially after the piece yesterday) is the single 'Ray' from Millencolin's 2005 album Kingwood. Released to strong reviews, the album showed a return to more of a traditional sound that the band was known for. Buzzing away at a comparatively rapid pace, the tune is another undeniably catchy song that has some fantastic chord progressions and satisfying melodies. The way the band twists and turns the tune around their fingers, it comes across as incredibly clear they have good reason for their lasting popularity and prolific career. I love the feel of the song dropping into the chorus, hitting the low notes as they wail away on their instruments.
Again, forgive my dogging the band for simply excelling in their genre - they shouldn't be subjected to flak (especially from the lowly likes of me) for doing what they do well. Millencolin know their strengths and play to them very well. Not every band has to write an opera to be respected - these guys craft incredibly tightly wound pop songs in punky little packages and deserve every bit of respect they've earned. Give 'em a spin and see what I'm talking about.