8.03.2011

Nerf Herder

Welcome back to Book Worm Week!

To continue with my trend of abruptly switching gears with every post, I thought I'd get away from the heady, symbolic texts worth hours of introspection to focus a bit more on the lighter side of things. So today, instead of grim surrealism we're looking at Bossypants by
Tina Fey
Tina Fey is, in a word, awesome. I adore her. Yes, I am a married man, but I have to admit a certain fondness for her witty charm and insightful writing - plus her words can cut like a razor, which doesn't hurt. Frankly, anyone who has met me and my better half could attest I have a thing for genius-level brunettes with a strong sense of humor. My own embarrassing admissions aside, I remember first seeing Tina Fey on SNL hosting the Weekend Update segment. As someone who has always paid close attention to the news and politics, I found her cutting and delightful, a snarky and hysterical woman at a time in my life where those type were not in abundance. Plus, she wore glasses - not a lot of people in my small No-Coast town embraced the whole intelligence-fostering ideal, but it was high school and let's be honest - neither did I. Anyway, I regret not watching SNL more in those days and leading into college, because anything of hers I've seen has been awesome, like the Mom Jeans or Annuale commercial, or any of her work on Weekend Update. It was also around this time 30 Rock debuted. I remember thinking that it was either that show or Studio 60 that would survive and thankfully Fey persevered. Around the second season of that show I fell in love with it, and I have quickly glommed on to Fey's voice and perspective, figuring out what her general style is. Never one to relish in the spotlight, Fey was elusive and a bit mysterious, but she would probably chalk that up to being a social misfit and not wanting to be a reality TV star. 
So imagine my delight, then, when I heard about her (then) forthcoming book Bossypants. As a generally biographical tale sprinkled with her insight into the worlds of comedy and beauty, I was instantly sold on the book. While it is clear at times Fey was not writing for my general audience (young men) I still found what she had to offer to be absolutely hysterical and interesting, if not illuminating. Fey writes a fair amount about her experiences growing up; there were no great tragedies the reader can point to and say "Oh, that's where the bitter comedy comes from..." but there was just enough demeaning experiences and self-loathing to gain an understanding of her approach to writing and being a reluctant public figure. Her home life comes across as supportive and normal, her school experiences seem, while certainly unique, not impossible for anyone else to identify with, even a 28 year old guy lying on a beach on his honeymoon. Those were great conditions for reading the book, by the way - Fey's a whip-smart woman with a jovial, engaging writing style, so buzzing through a couple quick chapters while lying in the sun were ideal. A crowded bus? Maybe not so much. But it was a fun, quick read that was hard to put down. 

Her rise to prominence wasn't a tale of overcoming adversity but trying to get through to foolish people who struggled to understand that women were just as capable as men when it comes to being funny. In fact her tales of career choices and the events in her life pale in comparison to when her sense of justice and humor fire up at the same time - when writing on the idea of whether or not women are inherently funny, Fey goes after her detractors with both barrels blazing, to delightful effect. I should admit, though, that these passages were, in essence, preaching to the choir - I was still in my formative comedy years when women took over SNL and I see everyday women like Kristen Schaal and Samantha Bee kill it on The Daily Show, so I don't see where the 'women aren't funny' concept generated. Furthermore, her take on the whole Sarah Palin period was particularly revelatory.

But I digress.
Fey is most alive in the book when straying from her loose autobiography. She shares funny, if perfunctory, anecdotes about her her honeymoon and raising kids while being a writer, but they're more to give insight into 'being the boss' of her life, the theme of the book. Her musings on women's fashion, photo shoots and the experiences of being both over-and-underweight are the most entertaining and revelatory. Again, as a guy who's almost 30, these aren't truly aimed at me. I still found them to be entertaining and worthwhile reading, though. I also particularly enjoyed her tales of backstage at SNL and the assembling of her writer's team on 30 Rock, which is, in my humble opinion, one of the hands-down funniest shows, period. Citing her writing staff's highlights and MVP moments is also great for fans of the show - it gives a glimpse at how the insane scripts come together, instead of springing forth from creative people's minds, pre-assembled.
 I simply can't say enough good things about Bossypants. I'm one of those guys who think Tina Fey can do no wrong, Sarah Palin-skewering included. I love her writing style, I adore her comedy and sense of humor and I really enjoy and admire her take on what it is to be a woman. Again, though, this is coming from a dude who's been a dude all his life, so make of that what you will. That being said - if you know me and are the least bit curious, just ask. I gladly loan out my books.