8.07.2011

Noses in Books

...and so ends Book Worm Week.

It's been a fantastic journey into the imagination, gang. I love reading, there's nothing quite like sitting down with a great book and whiling away an afternoon, especially when it's raining outside or if you've opened a nice bottle of wine. You just kick your feet up, sit back and get lost in a world that assembles gradually in front of your mind's eye, bit by bit. As much as I enjoy TV or a good movie, the written word is so simple and essential, such a vital part of being human that has such a profound effect on how we see the world. Books are able to transport us, both through stories and new ideas, to places we would never dream of. It brings me so much joy to know there are people out there who still love a good book. Hey, doesn't even have to be a book - the first thing I bought for a kindle was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, appropriately enough. Although I suppose my phone would be The Guide, instead of a kindle. Regardless, people (even American people) still love to read. To wrap up Book Worm Week here's everything I've posted about the written word:

Sleepwalk With Me - Mike Birbiglia's hilarious and touching stories about sleep disorders, interspersed with comedy.
Simpsons/Futurama Crossover Crisis - a bizarre and super-fun comic that sees two great things mashed together.
Calvin & Hobbes - the smartest comic strip ever to grace the funny pages, in my humble opinion.
A Dirty Job - Christopher Moore at his best, in a tale of a man having to do horrible things to save the world.
The Stand - Stephen King's take on an American Lord of the Rings. Simply phenomenal.
Fluke - Another Moore novel, this time about whales and secrets and hidden evolution. Mind bending.
Sin Titulo - A free web-comic that tells a trippy and engaging story, absolutely worth a look.
Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami, the rock star of Japan, tells a sad and poignant tale of loss and love.
A Wild Sheep Chase - More Murakami, this time a surreal gum-shoe story about missing sheep.
Dance, Dance, Dance - The sequel to Sheep Chase, just as good and just as weird.
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Still more Murakami, now even weirder and more emotional.
House of Leaves - The trippy meta narrative about a book about a book about a movie about a house.
Bossypants - Tina Fey's hysterical and insightful memoirs about being the boss of everyone.
Next - Michael Crichton's bleeding-edge look at a harrowing future full of ethical genetic dilemmas.
Batman: Year One - The best Batman comic ever, told in a believable fashion. Really. I swear.
The Long Halloween - The followup, which served as a basis for The Dark Knight. Phenomenal.
World War Z - The best damn book about Zombies and the end of the real world you'll ever read. I swear.

That is the full list of my verbal devotions. I love reading, as long as I have time for it. I hope you do, too. It feels like, when you really get hooked by a good book, you're feeding your brain, giving it sustenance that TV and pop culture can't. Then again, half of that list is comics and comedians, so what do I know? Regardless, I'm happy to know anyone would take a recommendation. Thanks for sticking out another themed week. Tomorrow it's back to the usual tricks. I'll see you on the flip side!