1.18.2011

Bookworm

In an attempt to get back into the normal routine I thought I would write a favorite book of mine, A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. Published in 2006, the book was a gift that exposed me to the hilarious and twisted worlds and characters Mr. Moore creates in order to tell his stories. 

Christopher Moore has been plugging away for years, slowly building a devoted fan base that is capable of making his works known on the bestsellers lists, yet I so rarely hear of anyone else enjoying his work, which seems criminal in my mind. He is simply too talented and warped not to have garnered more mainstream acclaim, yet here I am, writing as though he's an undiscovered gem. Perhaps this is due more to the (supposed) decline of book-devouring in my generation and younger, or maybe I just don't go to book clubs or share my reading interests with enough people. I have, however, seen the occasional fellow bus patron apparently enjoying other books of his, so I know he is at least marginally renowned. Alas, here I am, prattling on about an author you must know about and feeling unsure of whether or not I'm peddling a well-known commodity. 


Regardless - A Dirty Job!

The story revolves around Charlie Asher, one of many of Moore's 'Beta-males' who go through life worrying about every minute detail possible. A devoted, if  slightly neurotic, husband, Charlie loses his wife as she gives birth to their first child and is left to deal with his loss as he learns to be a father. Pressing on with his life and burgeoning fatherhood, he throws himself into the routine of running his second-hand store in San Francisco and finds himself, through a twist of fate I won't divulge here, becoming a harbinger of Death. Not in the sense of cloak and scythe, mind you, but as a soul collector whose karmic duty is to harvest a 'soul object' from those who are nearly or recently deceased, so that it might be imparted to the soul's next host or incarnation via his store's customers. It's a fairly novel twist on the idea of protagonists not only doing Death's job, but on the operation of Karma or Wheel of Reincarnation. Interestingly Moore displays a depth of knowledge throughout the book in regards to various cultures take on death and loss, from witty observances of the comforting nature of deli trays at funerals to the universality of themes of reincarnation and learning from past experiences. Clearly Moore is an author who puts a great deal of thought and research into each of his novels. 


Charlie's duty as a soul-collector is not one without bumps in the road, however. There is a looming shadow on the horizon, literally and figuratively, and his uneven success at his new job begins to manifest in the resurgence of some nefarious forces that would love nothing more than to destroy the world. His baby girl also starts to display new and unusual behavior, and Charlie begins to suspect she may be the reincarnation of the Grim Reaper himself, complete with oversized Hell Hounds as guard dogs. Through his own growing sense of confidence and purpose Charlie fights back against the forces of darkness and journeys under the streets of San Francisco to face this evil head on, Hell Hounds in tow. While I won't spoil the ending, I will say that it was both enjoyable and well-written, if only a tad predictable. Lessons are learned, characters are struck down on both sides and a clear victor emerges. An excellent read all around.

Moore stands out in the literary community not only for his unusual ideas but for his sense of humor and ability to create sight gags with the written word. I recall vividly thinking, the first time I read this book, that it was the first time I had actually laughed out loud, not just a smirk or chortle, but genuine, honest to God laughter, sitting alone in my apartment. Everything from sly puns and clever wordplay to absurd physical comedy that rarely if ever comes across as contrived, Moore displays a natural ability to channel his sense of humor onto the page. His characters are genuine and relatable, as well, despite the fantastical nature of the plot. The reader is able to identify with and become attached to the people he's filled his world with. 



A Dirty Job was my first foray into the wonderful and weird world of Christopher Moore. I've absolutely savored his back catalogue and plan on writing up his other novels in the future. The more I read of his work, the more I appreciated his style (mon dieux I promise that pun is, in no way, intentional). You can find his books here, along with his online presence and devoted following. If you read any fiction at all, do yourself a favor and check out A Dirty Job.