1.11.2011

Veni Vidi Vino

To make up for the sloppy double post yesterday I'll atone by posting one well written piece today. Unfortunately it has to be pretty bare bones due to some "known issues." Curse you, progress of software!


The subject of today's refined write up?


The Vinturi! 


A sophisticated and elegantly designed little device, the Vinturi is a marvel of function and form. Also, it improves the inebriation process! For those that imbibe, please - right this way! Teetotalers and those who care not to participate, I'll see you tomorrow (or possibly tonight for another impromptu WFV).


Alors.


This plastic marvel is a simple solution to a problem I never knew I had. Namely, a bottle of wine becoming more enjoyable with every glass. I know, I know, it sounds like I'm just getting drunk. What actually is happening is the oxidation process occurring to a fuller extent as more of the wine is exposed to the air. Thus the first glass least enjoyable and the last the best. Additionally if one practices single-serving ideaology (not that I'd recommend it) by the time you reach the bottom you probably don't care about flavor. It makes a world of difference, though, if you're just sitting down to dinner and have not had a chance to aerate a bottle before dinner. Simply pour through the egg shaped device and the particularly placed ventilations allow the wine to oxidize as it passes through. Even more amusing is the fact that there is legitimate math involved. Hard sciences and alcohol are always a winning combination. According the the maker's site, Bernoulli's Principle is inherent to the operation. Check their work!

Increase in velocity versus a decrease in pressure. It's almost too easy.


I suppose this is where my wine afficianado readers would object and say "It's an inelegant solution to your impatience! Allow it to happen naturally, you philistine " but I can't hear you because I'm typing somewhere that I can't hear you. I am new to this vino thing, I admit. BUT! The difference between a normal glass and one poured through this device is night-and-day. My fiance and I laughed out loud at the difference. It's simple yet marvelous. No matter how gauche it may be, the simplicity and elegance of the operation of te Vinturi is amazing and I am thrilled to have picked one up at Williams Sonoma.


Amazing that none of this is a paid advertorial, eh? It's just that good.