2.05.2011

Aeronaut

I'm somewhere over the plains right now, hurtling along in a metal tube. Reminded of Louis C.K.'s bit about not being sufficiently amused by modern tech, I though I'd start poking around and maybe sneak in a post. 


So where to start? Like any sane person about to embark on a trip through the airline system, I indulged in some preflight cocktails, so forgive my scattered musings.


Trapped on a plane and left to my own devices, i typically turn to a book. This flight made me fidgety, though, and I couldn't concentrate. Looking for a diversion I grabbed my trusty, well worn nintendo DS, a pleasant little distraction I only pulled out when bored or on a trip. While it's definitely been a worthwhile investment I occasionally forget all about it, only realizing it's there after buying tickets and packing a carry on bag. I guess I almost grab it out of habit. As a result the games I have are only ones I've really felt compelled to get - there's little fluff to my meager collection. Among these choice games are some of the more notable/requisite title for the system. GTA, Mario 64DS, Chrono Trigger (an excellent expanded remake, btw). The superstar among the bunch though?


Scribblenauts.


This game, made by the geniuses at 5th Cell, is both simple and deep. Your goal is just "get the starite" but doing so involves a task, anything from rescuing a princess to opening a traffic jam. How you go about doing that is the real trick of the game. Sporting a dictionary of over 20,000 words, you merely write an object and it appears. It's amazingly detailed, too. You want a boat? What kind? Yacht, schooner, dingy, hovercraft, raft, jet ski. They're all in there. Need something for self defense? Swords, guns, military equipment, ufos. You can create a black hole and suck up effecting on the screen just for the hell of it. Have to get to sunken treasure? Submarine! Shark in the way? Cthulu! Here's fun - summon a zombie and watch him infect any other people around. Cows run from ufos, bakers love pies, ninjas fight robots, vampires fight werewolves. It's a game that seems to have anticipated your every move. Even Memes from the web are in the list - long cat, philosoraptor, it's there. 


Plane air is making me groggy, kinda sky drunk, not gonna keep pushing this. Timing is everything, so I'm wrapping here for now. Maybe more later.